Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Complications

As a young child my parents would read to me every night before I went to bed and every Sunday too. As I grew older I started read on my own more and more. Gradually I went from picture books, to a few chapter books, and then onto full length novels. I loved to read and would oftentimes stay up late into the night reading. Many nights I could be found asleep with a book by my side and the lights still on. I loved reading because of the knowledge that I gained with every word and every paragraph.

The main reason I read was because I loved the things I learned. I had a decent enough memory that I could read something once and remember all the details of what I had read. Once something was in my head it wasn't leaving and I immediately wanted to share what I had read in the encyclopedia, from a book on the French and Indian War, or from a fantasy book. It didn't matter what it was I just wanted to let people know what I knew.

As a fifth grader I participated in a Geography Olympiad. It was during this time that my knowledge of things kind of got me into trouble. In one of the events at the Olympiad we were asked a series of questions. The first person to buzz in and give the correct answer received points for their answer. I knew the answers to every single question that was asked in the event and was the first one to respond to every single question. On one of the questions I buzzed in and gave the correct answer, but then I continued to elaborate on the answer and by the time I was finished the judge was too confused that she gave the other team a chance to answer. The other team then gave the answer I had given with a lot less added detail. That was the only time they scored.

Even though I won the competition by a lot I was frustrated that I hadn't gotten all the possible points. I complained to my mom and asked her why I hadn't they given the points to me when I had given the correct answer? My mom taught me a very important lesson that day. She told me that if you want someone to know what you are saying then you should be simple. That way there is no way they can see things in the wrong way. She told me that even though I knew a lot of information that I should try to keep things simple and that way people would have an easier time understanding me. This lesson has helped me a lot a s a missionary.

As a missionary my purpose is to help other to come unto Christ by helping them learn more about the Restored Gospel. Now the Gospel of Jesus Christ when stripped to the bare bones is really simple. It is simply having faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. All of those are simple and easy steps. Yet oftentimes missionaries and members can over complicate the simpleness of the Gospel.

As members we first learn the Gospel very simply. We learn that through Jesus Christ we all can be cleansed from sin and live with our Heavenly Father. We know that we must change our ways, be baptized for the remission of sins, receive the Holy Ghost to help guide us, and then we must continue to try and be good people for the rest of our lives. As we mature in the Gospel we begin to learn more about why we do these things and we begin to learn more of the mysteries of God. We want to share these mysteries with the people around us and let them know what we know. But we often find ourselves scaring off these people as we teach them way more than what they are ready for. Confusion and fear will follow when this happens and will sometimes lead people away from the Gospel.

As members, as missionaries, and as disciples of Jesus Christ we need to keep things simple when it comes to sharing the Gospel with our family and friends. Because the Gospel is simple and has been made that way for a reason. The reason is that He wants all of His children to return to live with Him. As Paul said "I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it..." (1 Corinthians 3:2) Start off with the simple truths then move onto the more complex things. If we keep to the basics then our friends will be able to learn and accept the Gospel more easily. Don't over complicate things.

As spiritual children we need to keep things simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment