Sunday, April 5, 2015

Easter Sunday: A Day of New Life

It has been awhile since I last made a post, but with the Easter season upon us I return with a new post about the special meaning of this time of the year. I hope that each of you will enjoy and be able to remember everything that is special about this holiday.

Several years ago my family made the long drive from Utah to visit my sister in Colorado. The drive was a long and tedious one, involving hours of drive on the high plains of Wyoming and eventually culminated with us arriving late at night in Denver. My family was tired from our trip and we were ready to crawl onto the air mattresses and the futon that would be our beds for the next several days. My family didn't complain about the sleeping conditions and my sister and her husband didn't complain either about the extra six people that were staying in their home.

For a couple of days my family was united on the edge of the Rocky Mountains. We spent time to go and visit interesting sites, go on runs, and spend time together catching up. Most of all we spent time with my sister's youngest child a newly born baby girl. At the time she was only several months old and for most of my family it was our first time to see the newest addition to the family. We all took turns holding the little girl and then would switch to playing with her older brother, who was just as cute.

On Sunday my family went to the local LDS chapel and watched as my brother-in-laws and my dad gave this baby girl a blessing to help start off her life right. It was amazing to hear my sister's husband give the blessing. To feel that power and to realize that this little pure girl was just starting off her life was amazing. The entire family was so happy to be present for the blessing of my sister's little girl.

When the blessing was finished my family returned to my Sister's house to celebrate the Easter Sunday and the baby blessing. That night I sat and thought about what had happened that day.My thoughts were drawn from the baby blessing and how pure my little niece was and how amazing her life was. I thought of how special it was that she was able to start her new life and how I wished for that same thing in my life.

The more I pondered though the more I realized that I too could be made clean like my little niece and how I would be able to have a fresh start like her. I remembered the reason for that Sunday I was spending in Colorado. Two thousand years before Christ had risen from the tomb. By doing such He had signaled that we all could become pure through His Atonement and that all of us could have fresh starts and someday live with our Heavenly Father. I realized that all of those blessings were available to all of God's children no matter who they are.

As I now look back on that day several years ago I remember several things. A pure little girl, an empty tomb, and a chance to change. The memories from that day will not be forgotten in my life. I'm thankful for the blessings of Easter. For the blessings of new life. May we take time this Easter Sunday to think and ponder on the meaning of this day and see what it means for us. May we read the scriptures and find those things that will point us to our Savior.
My Family that Easter morning.
Links
Alma 7       3 Nephi 11      John 20

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about that Easter today as well. So grateful that Christ lives and that those of us that are older and not quite as pure can have fresh starts too!

    ReplyDelete