Tuesday, November 25, 2014

A Strong Finish

During the four years I spent running cross country I ran a lot of different races. Now when I refer to different races I am not referring to the course alone, but to how I ran the race. Because as I found out no matter how many times I ran a course my experiences were always different than they had been the time before. In fact the first cross country meet I ran I did very poorly at and had to hobble along to the finish line. The second year I ran the race I finished second place. Then the third year I ran the course I had a terrible time. From running that one race three times I was able to find out that there would be times when I could run a race easily and times where it would be a struggle just to finish.

Every single race was absolutely different regardless of time of year, the amount of experience I had under my belt, or how the last race I had run went. But no matter how the race went I knew two things every single time I ran. The first was I would be done running in at least twenty minutes if not faster. The second was that no matter how I started the race the most important part was that I finished the race and that I try to finish strong.

Some of the races that I had in high school were pretty terrible. In some of my races I wanted to give up within the first mile. But I always hung on and never gave up on the race no matter how tough the first couple of miles went. By the time I hit the last mile and half or the last quarter mile I would try my best to run my hardest and to finish strong. I knew that if I could sprint in down the homestretch that I would feel good about my race and would be willing to go out and run my next meet with a little less apprehension.

From my experiences with cross country I learned to liken mortality to a race. There are some racers who float along with ease and post really good times. These people could be likened to those who have the Gospel in their lives and have somehow always made the right decisions. Some people have started out the race slowly, but are gaining speed as they learn the Gospel and start living its principles in their lives. Yet there are some who maybe started the race strong and given up on the Gospel or maybe even those who have never heard the Gospel in their lives and feel like they are failing. There are many different racers in this life just like there are many different runners in a 5k.

Now a cross country 5k is relatively short race and takes a small amount of time to run. Life is the same way and just like a 5k it can be discouraging. As we run this race of life we will oftentimes seem as if people are passing us by. We flounder at the back of the pack trying to keep pace while others move on ahead as if they are Olympic marathoners. At times like this it can seem as if it might be better to just drop out of the race and say "Well I tried, but it just wasn't for me."

When the race gets tough it is best to remember that unlike a real 5K we are never truly out of the race and that we can finish strong. The Gospel of Jesus Christ allows us to use the enabling power of Christ's Atonement to receive the extra boost that we need to finish the race. As we build our efforts upon faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end we will be more confident in our lives and in the things we are doing. We will know that at the end of this race we will not be ashamed by our "finishing place".

Rely on Christ and He will help you to overcome the obstacles and challenges that you face in this life. He will not let you down and when you get to the end of this life you will be satisfied with your experience. For in the end we will all receive the same reward and it matters not how we started, but how we finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment