Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A Mission Blesses

Two years ago an announcement was made by the Lord's Prophet and Apostles here on earth. That announcement was that young men could leave on missions at the age of eighteen and young women at the age of nineteen. Previously a boy had to be nineteen and a girl had to be twenty-one. This was a huge change and has since let over eighty-thousand young Latter-Day Saints leave their homes to serve God. This force of missionaries is here to help spread the Gospel to all the world and to hasten the Lord's work.

Missions have a further purpose than just helping spread the Gospel though. They help to turn missionaries from kids into confident mature adults. This world is a world set on satisfying the needs of the individual. In this world all concerns for others are ignored as people focus only on themselves. For two years though a missionary forgets his own needs and looks outward. A missionary seeks to share the Gospel with random people he has never met. In return there is no monetary gifts or a leadership position in the Church. There is only the reward of knowing that he has tried to help someone return to live with their Heavenly Father.

The happiness that this missionary feels helps him to see that truthfulness of when Christ says:

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel’s, the same shall save it.

No Greater happiness can be found in life than when we serve those around us. Because when we serve others we only serve God. (Mosiah 2:17)

Another way that missionaries grow during their eighteen months to two years of service is that they learn the importance of work. Missionary life isn't easy at all. From six-thirty in the morning to ten-thirty at night a missionary is working to spread the Gospel. A missionary has to make sure that during all that time he is working. As a missionary works hard he sees blessings come into his life. He finds peace that He is doing God's will. He will see miracles happen in his life and in the lives of those around him. Most importantly he will learn to love those he comes in contact with.

The work that a missionary does on his mission helps him to develop an attitude of hard work. An attitude that he will take home with him. This attitude will help a missionary to thrive at work. To earn the respect of his coworkers. It will also help him to work hard for his family and to love his family even more.

The blessings of a mission are incredible. I have seen myself become a hard worker throughout my mission. I have also gained confidence in what I do and what I say. I have also come to love those around me no matter who they are or what they do. But the greatest blessing I've received out here is a stronger testimony. When I came out I had a very weak testimony. I believed in God, but not much else. As I've served I've gained a testimony of the divine mission of Jesus Christ. I've come to know that God's is on the earth today and it is only in this Church that the priesthood authority of God rests, and that through this priesthood I can live with my family for forever.

My mission has been the greatest experience that I have had so far in my life and I know that it is one of the greatest experiences I or anyone can have. A mission can be hard at times, it can even be boring, but the growth that comes from a mission shouldn't be traded for anything. Jobs can wait, school can wait, and even girlfriends can too. I know this because I've those things up for two years.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.

No comments:

Post a Comment