Tuesday, October 21, 2014

My Eternal Family

Since being on my mission I have had several family members pass away. The ends of my family members' mortal existences were all tough on me and my family and for a time left us feeling sad. As I have learned from personal experience losing a loved one is a hard experience. I can still remember the day I received a phone call from my mother informing me of the passing of my Grandma. I can remember how upset I was that I hadn't been able to see her one last time and about much I was going to miss her. I had really hoped that I would see her again when I returned home from my mission.

I remember how I had wanted to go home and be a part of my Grandma's funeral. But at the same time I decided that I needed to be in Oregon serving the Lord. I also knew that on a mission was right where my Grandma would want me to be. As I've mentioned in another blog post my Grandma was a convert to the Church in Finland. The Church helped to change her life and helped to bring her peace and comfort. Because of my Grandma's faith in the Gospel she encouraged her sons and her grandsons to all serve missions. My Grandma wanted people to know about the Gospel and to receive the hope that she had found in her life.

Part of the comfort that my Grandma had found because of the Restored Gospel was that of eternal families. My Grandma had lived most of her life never really knowing her father. Her father had been a sailor in the Finnish navy and had lost his life during the Winter War. Because of the truths of the Gospel my Grandma learned that her family could live together forever, that she would be able to see her father again. I can only imagine how much joy this must have brought to my Grandma. To know that families don't end in this life, but continue on into the next and that she would never be separated from her parents, her brother, her husband or her children. My Grandma truly cared for her family and never wanted to let them go.

One of the simple truths that the missionaries, who introduced my Grandma to the Gospel, taught her was about the power of the priesthood. The power from God given to His representatives here on the earth today. The priesthood gives man the power to do the things that God would do if He were here on the earth. This priesthood power allows for a husband and a wife to be sealed together for eternity. Meaning that their marriage will always exist. My Grandma wanted this blessing for herself and so when she was married to my Grandpa she was married to him in the Temple for time and all eternity. Because she knew only in the Temple could she be sealed to her loved ones.

My Grandma knew that it wasn't just the Temple sealing that allowed her to live with her family forever, but also making sure that she lived worthily so she could have the promise of an eternal family. For my Grandma's entire life she tried her best to make sure that she and her family lived according to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. She taught of Christ in her home, she participated in her church callings, she kept the commandments, and she always tried her best to love others. Now she wasn't always perfect, but she always tried her best and always tried to help her kids be the best so that they could receive the blessings of an eternal family.

My Grandma was one of the people who inspired me to serve a mission. To go and to teach the simple truths of the Gospel to people. To help people find the light in the darkness. To know that their families can be eternal. And to know that the authority from God to seal our families together forever is once again found on the earth. I know that this is true and I cannot wait for when I get to see my Grandma and all my other loved ones again. The time we spend apart is brief when compared to eternity.
My Eternal Family.

To learn more about the family see The Family: A Proclamation To the World

No comments:

Post a Comment