Friday, May 23, 2014

Service

The first area I served in on my mission was the tiny town of Lakeview, Oregon. When I arrived in Eugene and was told that I was going to Lakeview the first question I asked was if there was a lake near the town. The answer I found out was no.

The drive to Lakeview from Eugene was a two day affair. My companion and I spent the first night of my mission in Klamath Falls and then went on to Lakeview the next day. My first thoughts when I showed up in Lakeview was that it was super small and that it was super far away from everything.

My companion took no time to stop when we arrived and took me straight to a house where we started to build a playground. For the next few weeks the two of us would go back to this house and work on the playground. We toiled in the hot Sun and drank tons of water. Yet I didn't feel bad about working and I didn't feel bad about being in Lakeview either. It felt so good to work with my hands and to help someone out.

I spent about four moths in Lakeview and the entire time I was there I always tried to help out where I could. I stacked a lot of wood, cut a lot of grass, helped put on siding, and pruned a lot of trees.

Even if someone wasn't interested in hearing the message of the Restoration my companion and I tried to do what we could to help people out. I remember once being asked why were we so willing to help out without any thought of payment. When I was asked this a scripture from the Book of Mormon came to my mind.

And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of you fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.


This scripture spoke a lot of truth to me. The reason I felt good about serving people was because that was what I needed to be doing to those around me. I needed to serve God by serving others.

And as my mission has gone I have found that the best way to serve people is to share the Restored Gospel with them. To let them know that God does love us and does care about our daily lives. Oftentimes He does that through other people. So I will do my best to serve those around me and share the Gospel with them.

So if there is anyone out there who wants to learn more about the Restored Gospel please message me on Facebook or visit mormon.org. I promise that you will never regret learning more.


No comments:

Post a Comment