Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Record Keeping

"There shall be a record kept among you..."

Since I was six years old I have always had a journal. That journal unfortunately has mostly remained empty with only a few entries that I have made throughout the years. In fact my whole year at college before my mission has one entry that I made several weeks into the school year.

Writing in my journal has always been something that I wanted to do, but I have never made a huge priority. So when I left on my mission I made a goal to write in my journal every single day that I was out. So far since June 19, 2013 I have not yet missed a day of writing.

Keeping this daily journal for the last thirteen months has been a real blessing in my life. As the Book of Mormon prophet Alma said, "[These records] have enlarged the memory..." (Alma 37:8) As I go back and look at the events that are recorded in my journal I am able to remember events with greater clarity. I have been able to see the growth in my testimony from the first day of my mission until now. I can see how the hopelessness I felt at the beginning of my mission has now turned into a strong faith in Jesus Christ. If it wasn't for a journal I wouldn't be able to see all the small steps that led to this testimony.

I am thankful for how my journal has helped bless me, but the reason I keep a journal is not just for me. I keep a record so my posterity can be blessed. I want my children to be able to see how I have been blessed in my life. I want them to see how my testimony has grown as I have also grown. I want them to read my journal and learn that there is a God and that He does love His children.

I hope that my journals can help my children out in a similar way to how the scriptures have helped me. Because if not for the written records of the prophets in the Book of Mormon and the Bible there would be much I would be lacking in my testimony. The records of the prophets have "convince [me] of the error of [my] ways, and brought [me] to the knowledge of [my] God unto the salvation of [my] soul." (Alma 37:8).

Now I know that my journal will never take the place of the scriptures. I know that if my children are to gain a testimony of God that they will need to do it from their own experiences and as they read from the scriptures. But I hope that my record will help people to avoid the mistakes that I have made and to go looking for answers themselves. I really hope that my journal can encourage others to go to the scriptures and to read from them.

Let us all keep records as the Lord has commanded us to. So we may be an influence to the generations yet to come. So they may see that God blesses men now and will continue to bless men. As we do this we will be able to see blessings in our lives and be able to strengthen our own testimony that God truly does bless us in the details of our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment