Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Letters From Home

As a missionary I have come to love mail. Before I left home I had always that getting a paper letter wasn't very exciting. If I did receive a letter in the mail I always wondered why hadn't the sender just sent me a text message, a message on Facebook, or at least an email? I mean they had so many options and they chose the slowest way to get a message to me. A method that sometimes took days if not weeks to get to me.

Now though I have developed a deep appreciation for paper letters. Because as a missionary I don't have the option to text my friends or my family. I get the chance once a week to write them and to email and I don't really know on which day I might receive a response back from them. So now whenever I get anything from my family I am super excited.

Out here on my mission I have developed this ritual that whenever mail arrives at our apartment I rush to the mailbox, with my companion of course, to see if I have any mail. Some days there isn't anything, but whenever there is a letter or a package for me I am always super excited. These letters meant to me that someone at home did care about me and wanted to know how I am doing. These letters have become a treasure that I keep with me at all times and whenever I need advice or just kind words I turn to these letters.

The receiving of these letters every week or so has brought a blessing into my life that I had never considered before. The letters helped me to see how vitally important the scriptures are to me.

Before my mission when I would pray to God I always did it with the hope that I would receive an immediate answer. I would ask a question and just sit at the foot of my bed hoping for a heavenly messenger or at least some kind of feeling. No messengers ever showed up, but I did get a few impressions, but not usually. I often wondered why I wasn't getting a fast response like I might get when texting a friend.

It wasn't until I got on my mission and I would have to wait for days to get a letter that I realized one of the ways that our Heavenly Father answers our prayers is through the scriptures. I realized that the scriptures are like God's letters to us here on this earth. They weren't received all at once and they do take time to read and to ponder. But when we take time to look through them we are able to find answers to the questions we have or find that peace and comfort that we are looking for.

So now whenever I have a question that I need help with I ask God in humble prayer and then I go and read and see if I can find my answer. I have found multiple times as I have read from the Bible and the Book of Mormon that my answer is contained within the pages of these sacred writings. This searching has brought me to a new understanding of God's love for us.

I encourage all to read the scriptures and to find the answers that they are looking for. They can be found as you read these sacred texts and see what God has provided for us. I promise that no time spent reading the scriptures is wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment